The first record of the church in Brotherton was as a Ebenezar Independent in 1838.
Over the years, the size of the village has dwindled. Shortly after WWII, a lot of
the village was demolished and a new estate was built in the adjoining village of
Byram some ¾ mile away. The two villages were separated by the A, locally known as
the Great North Road. At that time, there was a strong congregation which supported
a Sunday School of up to 60 youngsters and also a youth club and choir.
Unfortunately, due to people moving away from the village for work, numbers attending
the last Methodist Chapel closed in the late 1970s . The drain of people away from
the village has continued and in spite of support from Knottingley and Castleford
churches, it was inevitable that the URC Church would also close. Thanks must be
given to Bryan Greenwood for carrying on so long.