The Congregation of the Church In Knottingley
started in 1804 as a Congregational Chapel through the work of the Rev’d Boothroyd
of Pontefract’s Independent Church in Finkle Street. The congregation originally
met in Gagg’s Yard between Aire Street and The Croft.
In the mid - 19th Century, a visionary Minister, Rev’d John Dennison, saw the current
Building in The Croft erected at a cost of less than £1000, including the purchase
of the land. It opened in 1849.
A full history of the Chuch in Knottingley, written by Anne Broughton, is published
on the town’s website here.
Memories of the Church by Dorothy Posnett are also on the same website here.
Services are held every Sunday at 10.00am at the Church in The Croft WF11
Evening Services are held on the first Sunday in the month April - October.
Wadsworth, Dorothy Tordoff, Alison Carpenter and John Pickles and others lead the
Elders include Harry Turner , Margaret Turner, Pat Mee, June Norton,
Anne Broughton and John Wadsworth.